Have you been charged with DUI Drink Driving in Brisbane, the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast?
We can assist with DUI Drink Driving and Work Licences, as well as other traffic matters including Special Hardship Orders and more..
It’s free to call us for advice and we’ll give you a low, fixed fee quote on the spot. We have a 100% success rate for Work Licence Applications!
Give us a call or if you’re in a rush you can fill in our No Obligation, Free Consultation Form and we’ll get in touch with you asap.
For your information, below is important information about DUI Drink Driving laws in Queensland. If you have already been charged, Hollows Boonen Lawyers can help you defend your DUI Drink Driving charges, apply for a work licence and assist you with other traffic matters. Our first call is free and we charge no travel fees.
Do I need a lawyer?
Ultimately, whether you decide to engage a lawyer is up to you, however, as we appear in Court most days, we know which points are important to get across to the Magistrate or Judge and things you can do to help minimise your penalty, for instance, attending defensive driving courses, attitudinal drink driving awareness courses or obtaining psychological or psychiatric reports, character references, medical reports and more.
You only get one shot with most traffic applications so don’t take the chance representing yourself, it’s too important not to get it right. If you are not eligible for a Work Licence then every additional month that you are disqualified is a month you can’t be on the road earning a living, or driving the kids to school.
The biggest concern for DUI (drinking under the influence) or drug driving offenders is actually the license disqualification period they have to face. Individuals who are charged with DUI are evaluated by the court from their intoxication level, the manner of driving, the distance travelled while under the influence, and their traffic history.
Only in Charge of a Motor Vehicle?
Did you know that it is also an offence to be in charge of a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration reading or while under the influence of liquor or drugs? The penalty is the same as if you were actually driving, however, there are some exceptions in the legislation.
What are the Queensland Drink Driving Laws?
- In Queensland, if you hold a learner, probationary or provisional Queensland driver’s licence you must have a blood alcohol concentration reading of zero.
- If you hold an open driver’s licence you must not have a blood alcohol concentration reading exceeding 0.05.
- If you are required to have a ‘no alcohol limit’, that is a blood alcohol reading of zero- the maximum fine is 14 penalty units and/or 3 months imprisonment. The minimum (and mandatory) period of disqualification is 3 months and the maximum is 9 months.
- If your blood alcohol concentration reading is in the low range, that is 0.05 to 0.99 the maximum fine is 14 penalty units and/or 3 months imprisonment. The minimum (and mandatory) period of disqualification is 1 month and the maximum is 9 months.
- If your blood alcohol concentration is in the mid-range that is 0.10 to 0.149 the maximum fine is 20 penalty units and/or 6 months imprisonment. The minimum (and mandatory) disqualification period is 3 months while the maximum is 12 months
- If you have a high range reading, DUI (driving under the influence of liquor) that is 0.15 and above, the maximum fine is 28 penalty units and/or 9 months imprisonment. The minimum (and mandatory) disqualification period is 6 months while the maximum includes an absolute disqualification of your driver’s licence.
- The penalties change depending on whether you are a first time or repeat offender. A ‘repeat offender’ is someone who has more than one offence within the last 5 years.
- If you have three high range offences within the last 5 years the court must impose a term of imprisonment as part of your sentence.
Call our traffic lawyers to discuss your DUI drink driving charges.
Hollows Boonen Lawyers may be able to negotiate with the prosecution with a view to having your charge withdrawn.
We will work hard to obtain a disqualification period as close as possible to the mandatory minimum.
Call our traffic lawyers from Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast now to discuss your matter further.